Tuesday, August 28, 2012

#87

Dave's name came up on Jason's cell phone. He had expected it. He'd thought about what he would say, but now that the phone was ringing, his memory was fuzzy. He let it ring twice, three times...

"Hello?" He made his voice sound frail.

"Jason, this is Dave. What's up, man." He said it like a command.

"Hey Dave, I'm just not up to flying to the other side of the world this morning..."

"You have an appointment?"

"Y--yeah, I'm gonna see the doctor this morning." Not a lie, since he intended to visit his friend who was a doctor.

"What are your symptoms?"

"Huh? Oh, I got an upset stomach, kinda jittery, a little dizzy..."

"Sounds like nerves. I know you're nervous about the trip."

Jason said nothing.

"Jason, I told you, I'm countin' on you, man. I don't think you're gonna make your flight. I'm gonna call Emily and have her get the next one available, ok?"

After a pause, he said, "O--ok."

"And I don't want this to happen again, unless you're really sick."


No comments:

Post a Comment