Thursday, September 13, 2012

#99

Two more hours passed. They had been fed two modest meals, but they felt undernourished. Through the window outside their cell, they could see the winter sun was setting. They stood at the bars, only speaking occasionally. Both were thinking of home, and each other.

"I just hope they don't separate us," Aggie said. "Not tonight, not ever. I'm a little terrified of that, actually."

He looked at her, wanting so much to take her in his arms and comfort her. "Aggie, no matter what happens, we have to stay strong. Stay free in here." He pounded his fist on his chest. "We're totally innocent. If there's a God up there, I'm sure He'll get us out of this."

She took a step closer to him. "I've been trying to pray a little, actually," she said. "I grew up in church. You?"

"I went with friends some when I was younger."

"I'll pray for both of us."

"Deal." He looked at her tenderly. "Thank you."


No comments:

Post a Comment